Africa – the land of endless innovation and businesses on every corner in every country on the continent. From north to south, east, west and literally everywhere in between, small and medium businesses are springing up, creating vibrant and increasingly competitive markets across industries.
With so much going on, CPGs (Consumer Packaged Goods) like soaps, snacks, supplements, and all the others, can have a hard time breaking into a market and then standing out once they do. Fortunately, ePac’s flexible packaging solutions are just the… well, solution, that brands like yours need to address this problem.
The ways in which consumers view and interact with packaging are constantly changing. Africa is no exception. Traditional rigid packaging just doesn’t cut it anymore with people who demand more value for everything, are more environmentally conscious, keen on creativity, and like to have options when it comes to what they spend on. Increasing market demand for consumer-friendly packages and enhanced product protection are just two of the key drivers behind flexible packaging being embraced as a feasible, and cost-effective alternative. Innovative and more viable flexible packaging solutions like what we have at ePac are the way the world is going.
By and large, businesses in the food industry are the biggest producers of CPGs across Africa, but that story is changing with the changing times. More and more brands are turning to pouches and other flexible packaging solutions for liquids, such as juices, edible oils, beauty products, etc. ePac’s range of pouches, films and other packaging materials provide excellent product preservation, while delivering outstanding product presentation.
ePac’s mission to help brands of all sizes stay competitive is at the heart of our readiness to partner with African brands and add meaningful value to the people and communities connected to them.
Digitally Printed Flexible Packaging is on the rise
At ePac we recognise the unique packaging needs of budding businesses, and respond with digitally printed flexible packaging solutions that work. By leveraging modern digital printing technology we’re able to provide the features that today’s brands demand. Here it all is:
1. Zero Plate Fees and Small Runs
Whether it’s for domestic or international markets, we believe that brands can and should enjoy professional packaging in look, feel and quality.
Digital printing allows brands to commit to smaller minimums on their initial run than traditional packaging printing, thus avoiding expensive plates that soon become obsolete.
2. Swift Turnaround
The burgeoning space of entrepreneurs, socialpreneurs, instapreneurs and what have you means that founders cannot afford to wait 6-8 weeks for their packaging to be shipped. New offerings are always best served fresh!
With ePac’s quick turnaround time of 10 to 15 days, brands can get their products out in good time.
3. Your Packaging is A Work of art
Creativity and unique identities are part of everyday life on the African continent and packaging shouldn’t be any different. With ePac’s digitally-printed flexible packaging, brands can express their creativity through unique packaging design. Brands can now stand out on shelves and other display areas with packaging that feature detailed works of art, creative use of negative space, bold colours, seasonal or special occasion designs and many more creative avenues.
ePac’s digital printing platform uses less energy, produces less waste and has a smaller carbon footprint than traditional printing technologies. With the ability to order on demand, packaging obsolescence can now be eliminated, keeping unused plastic packaging out of landfill sites and waterways.
With environmentally friendly packaging, such as recyclable PE-PE Films, Post-Consumer Recycled (PCR) Films, and our soon-to-be-made-available compostable films, we’ve opened up options to complement the missions of the company founders we serve.
5. Connected Packaging
ePac also offers packaging with connected packaging, powered by unique serialized QR codes.
Each package is unique, like a fingerprint. This allows brands to engage with consumers through personalized marketing messages, guard against counterfeiting, and track and trace their products from the farm to their table.
ePac’s Packaging offering for you
West African brands have a lot to look forward to when it comes to ePac’s packaging options.
ePac’s signature package is our stand up pouches. They’re also our most popular offering.
Why do brands love our stand up pouches? They really allow you to stand out on the shelf (both the physical as well as the virtual shelf). They look different from the run-of-the-mill plastic and cardboard packaging.
With stunning, photo-quality graphics, and tons of options such as hang holes, tear notches, high vapour barriers, transparent or clouded windows, and gusset bottoms to mention a few, they’re the workhorse of our flexible packaging line.
They come in a variety of sizes, from small sizes for snack packs to large, family-sized options, depending on your brand’s needs… And they’re not just for foodstuffs!
Lay flat pouches
If your package needs to lay flat on the counter, you can try our lay flat pouches. While your packaging will be horizontal, you still get the high-quality graphics and other options as our stand-up pouches.
For maximum flexibility try ePac’s rollstock packaging, ideal for a wide variety of products — everything from peanut brittle to plantain chips to single-serve sample packs — rollstock is most suited to brands looking to create pillow pouches, packets, sachets and lay flat pouches using their own pouch-making equipment.
ePac’s packaging – whether stand up, lay flat or rollstock, can be manufactured with a variety of films, depending on your needs.
These include films that serve to extend product shelf life, films that are recyclable, post-consumer recycled (PCR), compostable or vegan. All fully customizable, they can be produced with finishes such as matte, soft-touch, gloss or spot embellishment, to name a few.
Our films help extend product shelf life and they’re designed to keep moisture and oxygen from entering or exiting the package.
And as to why our packaging helps you stand out on the shelf, here’s the secret: our films allow you to feature high-definition photo-quality graphics so you can create custom packaging with an unsurpassed, attention-grabbing look to attract new customers and set yourself apart from the competition.
ePac offers the following types of films:
- print films: Print films form the packaging layer that brings packaging design to life. With our HP digital presses, the print layer is reverse printed on a 29-inch wide web, preventing your image quality from deteriorating over time. The print film, combined with the barrier film, and sealant film, becomes the finished packaging product.
- sealant films: Sealant films, also known as packaging laminates, protect your packaging’s image quality from fading and losing vibrancy while providing a protective layer. Sealant film “seals” in the ink, and our solventless lamination process eliminates VOC emissions and creates an all-round eco-friendlier package.
- barrier films: Barrier films preserve product freshness, extend shelf life, and ensure product enjoyment. This film layer prevents the passage of atmospheric gases, water vapor, and odor from entering or exiting the package. With high-barrier packaging, your product is protected from punctures and tears during transit and on and off the shelf. And our barrier films are all FDA compliant for direct food contact.
Child Resistant Packaging
Need to package food stuffs or supplements for grown-up use only?
Child Resistant (CR) packages are designed to reduce the risk of children successfully opening a package and ingesting potentially harmful or hazardous products. We offer a child resistant press-to-close zipper for safe and convenient pouch resealability.
Child resistant packaging is perfect for medications, herbal medicines, dietary supplements, lawn & garden products, and more.
Custom Mylar Packaging
Mylar-style bags are highly desirable in the food, herb and supplement space because of their strength, durability and ability to protect their contents from the outside environment.
Their scent-proof and odour-resistant nature make them a great way to keep products that are known for their strong fragrance from infiltrating its surrounding environment.
As noted above, ePac offers environmentally friendly packaging for today’s modern CPG companies.
- Recyclable PE-PE films: Our 100% Polyethylene (PE) films are fully recyclable and are customizable to include high-barrier structures, providing optimal product protection. Similar to standard pouch constructions, our recyclable high-barrier films are oxygen and water vapour resistant and feature photo-quality graphics.
- Post-Consumer Recycled (PE) films: After recyclable packaging (ex: milk cartons or water bottles) have fulfilled their life cycle, they are diverted from landfills and converted into other commodities, such as new packaging material. The new packaging uses ~28% less virgin polymer, since it’s replaced by PCR resins. By using PCR films in our packaging, we are able to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by ~15.25%.
- Compostable films: Our compostable films are perfect for brands seeking a fully-compostable packaging option. At the end of the product life cycle, this type of packaging can be broken down into non-toxic components. It will return to the soil without harming, and will actually nourish, surrounding plant life. *Due to uncertainty in the supply chain, ePac cannot currently offer this product.
So, what happens now?
The bottom line is that a new market is evolving – a market of locally-based, globally-minded, environmentally conscious, purpose-driven CPG manufacturers across West Africa and the continent at large. Digitally-printed flexible packaging empowers new and existing businesses through the flexibility and options now available to them: smaller minimum orders, photo-finish designs, environmentally friendly options and more.
You; yes YOU, the ball is in your court: what’s stopping you from upping your game and competing with the big brands?
The size of your business shouldn’t hold you back.
Being mindful of your impact on the environment doesn’t mean you can’t have awesome packaging.
The world is yours for the taking.
Give us a call. We want to help. Let’s walk this road together!